On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 6:01 AM, Robert David
<robert.david.pub...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Newer say that wrapper will grow openrc size, and also dont know why it
> would be bad. The point is somewhere else. I really dont know how many
> user will switch inits and how many of them will do this regularly.
> But the wrapper will be executed every boot. So even a tiny mistake
> can produce booting problems even for those who did not wanted to
> change anything in init process. On the other hand mistake in some
> system process will affect only those who would actually switching. It
> is only calculation of possible risks.

You can have your cake and eat it too.  Just don't call the wrapper
init.  Somebody else already suggested leaving the init
implementations alone and stick the wrapper in a new binary that would
need to be enabled specifically in the boot/kernel configuration.

So if grub points to /sbin/einit then it runs the wrapper.  If it just
points to openrc/systemd then it directly executes them and bypasses
the wrapper.  That means that this whole thing only impacts those who
install it, which is the best way to implement something experimental
in the first place.

Granted, I don't know the limitations of the EFI bootloaders that are
out there, but this still seems like something better solved via grub
configuration.  When I implemented systemd in one of my VMs I just
added a grub line to boot back to openrc.

Rich