On Sun, 26 May 2013 11:55:24 +0200
Luca Barbato <lu_z...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Openrc is small, but the wrapper really needs to know which is which

It doesn't need to, it just needs to kick off the right init process.

If you think it does need to, please elaborate.

> and worst case switch inittab.

You could keep this kind of logic outside the wrapper, specific to the
init system; such that the wrapper and therefore the shared part of the
boot regardless of init system stays as small as possible.

This could be even something you could let the eselect script change,
the inittab is only needed at boot time as far as I can recall.

> openrc is *simpler* much *simpler* than systemd, stop with that.

Simpler is not necessarily better, stop with flames you don't back up;
and if you do back them up, then please keep it outside of the ML.

You're contributing to sidetracking your own discussion.

> > And since you've been failing long at keeping init.d scripts simple
> > and reasonable, the damage potential is not something purely
> > theoretical.
>
> wc -l is a good answer to your concern. Some scripts have to be
> simplified, that's a given (e.g. Fabio pointed the lvm one can be
> improved a lot) but it isn't the case for most of them.

If we're really going to have this discussion and you really care
about wc -l, maybe we should compress init scripts and service units;
perhaps we could then combine them into one file to spare inodes too.

Joke aside; the other reason, maintainability, is a good one.

> It is not dangerous beside for those that have an inittab with rm
> -fR /

Root preservation should make this safe.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D