On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 01:47:49AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote

> Yes, I tested it first and got the whole system unworkable, one
> single mode later I baked something to get at least the minimal
> functionality, supporting our xdm script properly required some more
> effort I hadn't time to pour that day.

  People "who want to try something different" in distros, without
irrevocably switching over, normally have a separate partition.  This is
beginning to look like the simplest, least error-prone approach, even
if it is heavy-ganded.

  Out of sheer curiosity... is "bb-init" based on busybox?  If so, a
separate partition would also prevent standard utilities from stomping
all over their busybox symlink equivalants.  Add another entry to the
grub/lilo menu, and boot from that.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>