On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 12:35:29AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote

> - eselect init will be opt-in ***FOR THE TIME BEING***, people can
> be left on their own tools if the want it

  This statement should bring the same reaction as the posting that udev
source was being rolled into the systemd tarball.  It implies that
eselect init will eventually become mandatory.

  Your situation is a special use-case, i.e. a developer who wants to
switch between a "production" init system, and a "test" init system,
possibly multiple times a day.  You're a developer, you know which files
to change, put together your own scripts, and run them as necessary.
Set up your own overlay and write your own eselect init ebuild.  No
problem.  But why should this eventually be a part of mainstream Gentoo?

  BTW, I'm a bigger fan of busybox than most Gentoo users.  Remember the
announcement of systemd/udev tarball integration, and supposed
deprecation of a separate /usr?  I was the ****-disturber who started up
the https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev wiki page on how to replace udev
with mdev.  I also did a page on automounting at...
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB/automount  Having said
that, I don't see how busybox development justifies an additional layer
of complexity for everybody's bootup.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>