Just a user point of view:

When a user decide to restrict the packages on his system to "stable", I
think the user expect stability in the sense works properly under most
(if not all) situations.
Therefore, for a user, if real stability demand a lot of restriction, it
is a price to pay. I think it would be harsh to stabilize buggy software
just because it is able to run with the distro defaults (especially when
defaults mean so little to a distro about freedom of choices). At the
very least, if stabilization of 3.6 is really something a lot of people
here are looking forward for, it should probably be a fork since the
work required to maintain it will be that of a full project anyways
(i.e. call it gentoo-gnome or something similar).

Also, I think the problem here is more idealogy than anything else,
people who do care about keeping OpenRC should leave Gnome IMHO (like I
did myself), I mean they will need to switch to systemd or change
environement in the future anyways. Because, even a gentoo-gnome project
won't have the manpower upstream gnome and upstream systemd have and
will probably be full of frustration for users...

Damien