On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Alon Bar-Lev <alo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> This is called a 'profile'.
>
> You can have systemd and openrc profiles, and then able to mask
> specific packages...
>
> It is a technical solution, but won't make lives much easier in this regard.

++

I don't think that this is really sustainable.  We can't really afford
to have a bazillion profiles with a multitude of rules about what does
and doesn't work together on top of the simple dependencies that
already exist.  This is the reason why nobody tends to use POSIX ACLs
either.

I could see value in convenience profiles here just as we have them
for kde/gnome.  Those profiles aren't about masking incompatible
packages so much as providing a pre-packaged configuration that tends
to work (emphasis on tends - when I've built from stage3 I usually
find there is some USE flag I need to tweak).

I don't really see that as being necessary for systemd though - it
really just involves one USE flag and one package and then a bunch of
manual configuration.  Systemd isn't a collection of 100+ individual
packages which each have their own IUSE/etc.

Rich