On 09/08/13 04:05, Zac Medico wrote:
On 08/08/2013 12:11 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 21:57:37 +0300
Alon Bar-Lev <alo...@gentoo.org> wrote:

Multiple implementations shouldn't block Gentoo going forward.

We need to come up with a solution similar to the above to avoid
this...

This is called a 'profile'.

You can have systemd and openrc profiles, and then able to mask
specific packages...

That's an interesting solution. Though, I wonder if it constitutes as
use or as misuse of profiles as we haven't thought this out; also, I
wonder how different people's stance is over having profiles like this.

This seems like a possible applicatio for "mix-in" profiles like Funtoo
uses:

   http://www.funtoo.org/wiki/Flavors_and_Mix-ins

I've always disliked unnecessary profiles, a lot, but this whole selecting of init plus packages supporting it plus the /usr-move issue the systemd maintainers are bundling together with it by forcing the unstandard systemd installation to /usr...
imho, would be good enough reason for a one or two more sub profiles

What if eg. profiles/targets/desktop would have sub directory profiles/targets/desktop/systemd which would have a 'parent' of '..' with USE="-consolekit systemd" and more importantly, the could-be kludge to setup the /usr-move, the could-be environment variable to disable functionality of gen_usr_ldscript... profiles/targets/desktop/gnome with 'parent' of '..' and '../../systemd' that mask the core packages GNOME 3.x that will pull in systemd unconditionally, and profiles/targets/desktop/systemd unmasking those packages

(I hope that was readable, it seems a lot simpler in my head ;-)

- Samuli