On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 9:15 PM, Mike Auty <ike...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Just because companies pour money into something does not mean they
> know what they're doing, or that they've done their market research
> into what their users want.  I've tried several of the forks, and
> sadly Gnome, because of the backing it's had, hangs together as a
> Desktop Environment the best which is precisely why it's so
> disappointing they've chosen this strong a demand of their users.

Sounds like a complaint many have had about Unity.  In the case of
Ubuntu they decided that the typical linux user of the past was not
the target market for the user of the future.

In the case of Gnome there is no market - volunteer-based FOSS
communities tend to be bound by common values and they pursue those
values regardless of whether it grows the community.  If I suggested
that binary distros are far more popular therefore Gentoo should
become one, I doubt that anybody would take it as anything but a joke.
 What we think is great in a distro and what the average Debian user
thinks is great is bound to be different.

That's basically how the Gnome devs feel - they're pursuing what they
feel is the best solution.  Whether anybody else uses it is a
secondary concern for them.  They probably will aim to make it as
usable to newcomers as they can, as far as they see usability.

Rich