On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 17:03:39 -0400
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Log files are about capturing information.  Escapes are about the
> presentation of information - a reporting feature not unlike
> pagination/etc.  It wouldn't make sense to embed page numbers in a log
> file - if they are desired they should be added at the time the
> information is presented, just like escape sequences.

Exactly, and the only way to add them when you present them is by
adding more information to the build log (eg. see subject for a start)
such that at presentation time a viewer can use this information to
color it; that way, you don't need the escape sequences anymore,
because you've made the build log more useful.

Or in other words, that allows people to search and filter it much more
efficiently; why try to match what might be an error if we can get the
stderr output of the last process instead?

> It seems to me that the cleaner situation would be to capture
> information in the logs, and use a pretty-printer of some kind to make
> it look nice.

That is the idea I try to from with this new subject; either I would
like to see more information that allows me to more efficiently deal
with the build log, if not stick with the escape sequences if people
object; but if we end up with neither of both it is going to be a step
backward that bothers all the people who rely on this feature.

> Terminate output should be made to look nice when
> directed at a terminal.

+1 Please don't make us go back to scrolling through black and white.

> Of course, the ultimate result of the whole logs-are-information
> concept is something like the systemd journal, but I won't go there.

It's a prime example; though, we probably might want to write our own
format and tools because we have quite a different goal.

> I'm not sure that would really help here - the challenge is more about
> the actual content and not the metadata.

It really is about both, not just content; reconsider metadata, that's
the key to log parsing and from there on we get more efficient searching
(last error lines), indexing (tinderbox) and so on ...

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D