On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 09:17:11 +0200
Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Dnia 2013-09-03, o godz. 18:57:12
> "Walter Dnes" <waltd...@waltdnes.org> napisał(a):
>
> > On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 10:15:39PM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote
> >
> > > That is not what this is about, this is about having escape
> > > sequences in build logs obtained from Bugzilla; because, they aid
> > > in skimming through logs (until we implement the feature I asked
> > > for in subject).
> >
> >   "The road to binary syslog files is paved with good intentions",
> > or something like that.  Question... why does it have to be escape
> > sequences?  Can't it be readable plain text?  E.g. something like...
> >
> > //STDERR.OUT.START
> > foo
> > bar
> > blah blah blah
> > //STDERR.OUT.END
> >
> >   This would be easy to grep and/or parse in bash.
>
> Especially if one is interspersed with the other. I suggest trying
> first, then suggesting it to others.

Definitely do not want them on their own line; instead something like

    OUT:make:1000: ...
    ERR:gcc:1001: ...
    ERR:gcc:1001: ...
    ERR:gcc:1001: ...
    ERR:gcc:1001: ...
    ERR:make:1000: *** [...] Error 1
    ERR:make:1000: make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

If you then grep the last non-make and non-portage STDERR, you simply
get just the gcc lines you actually want. From there you can grep the
lines around it for context.

You could then have a tool that tells you something like

    === ERROR at build.log:123 ===
    === /ERROR at build.log:123 ===
    *** [...] Error 1

and that allows you to immediately see the error right away;
additionally, it shows a few lines of context before and after. If you
need more context, the line number allows you to jump right to it in
the build.log if you need even more context.

We could even build this feature into Bugzilla...

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D