yac wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 09:51:32 +0000 (UTC)
> Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Daniel Campbell posted on Mon, 04 Nov 2013 02:50:27 -0600 as
>> excerpted:

>> Read the handbook lately? =:^)
>>
>> Handbook, part 2, Working with Gentoo, Chapter 1, A Portage
>> Introduction, Doc_chapter 3, Maintaining Software (this is the amd64
>> link):
>>
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?
>> part=2&chap=1#doc_chap3
>>
>> Look under the heading Updating your System.  That starts with...
>>
>> emerge --update --ask world
>>
>> ... then discusses --deep, --withbdeps=y, and --newuse, so the
>> example full update is ...
>>
>> emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse world
>>
>> --ask and --pretend are discussed in the same doc_chapter as well, as
>> is -v (tho inconsistently, I don't see the long-option --verbose
>> discussed, as it is for the others).
>>
>> --depclean, --search and --unmerge are discussed in that chapter too,
>> as is gentoolkit with equery and revdep-rebuild.  About the only
>> thing missing is sets, and they're missing from working with portage
>> (part 3) AFAICT as well, most likely because the handbooks simply
>> haven't been updated for sets yet.
>
> Yes, there is describes what are possible ways to update the system and
> what criteria goes into selection of the packages to update but not
> which one is recommended, generaly for regular update. Could be
> helpful for newbs and to avoid doubt even between more experienced
> users.
>
> I think only -u world could be used to do updates. (possible
> --with-bdeps could be recommended too, for better security until users
> find out about glsa-check, though I think it is limited to packages
> that are believed to be widely deployed.

But after a person has used Gentoo a while, they figure out what process
leads to the most stable update process.  They also figure out what
defaults to add to make.conf as well.  For that, it is as Duncan and
Alan describe.  Both have been using Gentoo for quite a while.  I been
using Gentoo for a good ten years.  I installed from Gentoo 1.4 I
think.  Here is mine in make.conf:

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --backtrack=30 --keep-going -v -j10
--quiet-build=n -1"

For my updates, I use this:

emerge -uaDN world

The only way to get a more stable system is to do a emerge -e world and
update that way.  At least that has been my experience so far.  If Zac
adds some other nifty feature, then I may add to the above as needed.
For the past few years, that has resulted in as stable a system as I can
get.  I do from time to time run emerge -e world just for giggles when I
have something acting odd and can't put my finger on the issue.
Sometimes, that fixes it, sometimes not.

Again, most of this comes from experience.  The handbook explains it
then the user figures it out from there.

My $0.02 worth.

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!