Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:

> and the default is oneshot

I would always recommend to put -1 into EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS;
you can still use --select if you really want a new package in a
word file: after the first installation this should happen rather rarely
(and you can still use -n --select later on if you forgot it and
realize that depclean wants to remove it).

(Also there is the world script from the mv overlay which,
among other things, keeps/compares a backup of your world/world_set
file, just in case...)

> Then there's esyn, which syncs both the gentoo tree and layman, as well
> as automatically handling ebuild patching and redigesting

You can use eix-sync for that: If properly configured it handles
tree and layman sync, eix-update (and eix-remote if required) and
also has all sorts of hooks which can be used to call your
patching/redigesting scripts; if you need an exceptional usage
(e.g. to skip gentoo/layman syncing and/or the patching hooks)
you can pass parameters to eix-sync.

The advantage is that you will probably have a better behaviour
in case some of the tasks fail...

> I have a similar set, but starting with k* instead of e*, for automatic
> mainline kernel fetching, building, etc.

This is rather cumbersome, since you should have different
permissions for building and installing (if you use the
recommended way to build into a separate KBUILD_OUTPUT
with e.g. portage permissions).
Except for fetching, you might want to use the kernel script
from the mv overlay.