On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 06:06:52 -0600
> Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But after a person has used Gentoo a while, they figure out what
>> process leads to the most stable update process.
>
> Do they? What do you consider a stable update process?
>
> I come across users on a daily basis which...

I would love to see a simple way to invoke emerge such that it just
"does the right thing" in updating the system.  Its behavior would
always be considered subject to change (scripts should use the long
options if they don't just want the latest automagic behavior).

I see this as having several benefits:

1.  It is newbie friendly.  Anybody can understand apt-get update,
apt-get upgrade.  If I told you what I invoked to do my daily updates
on Gentoo it would start a religious war on whether I'm doing it
right.

2.  It is supportable.  If a developer pushes out a commit without a
news item such that a stable user runs the standard update command
before the commit and after it and the second update fails, then that
is a valid bug.  I'm not suggesting that all such bugs are
preventable/etc, but it does help get rid of the whole "you're holding
it wrong" debate.

3.  It is maintainable.  When new portage features arise they can be
added to the default behavior when appropriate, without the need to
get everybody to change their command lines.

4.  It is a standard.  Gentoo is all about being able to deviate from
the standards.  However, there is still value in suggesting a best
practice.

Rich