Greg KH:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 05:17:36AM +0200, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 19:58:22 -0700
>> Greg Kroah-Hartman <gre...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Markos,
>>>
>>> I was wondering why docker 1.0.0 wasn't seeming to get updated on my
>>> boxes recently, despite me commiting the update to the cvs tree, and
>>> Tianon noticed that it was masked at the moment:
>>>
>>> # Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org> (03 May 2014)
>>> # Masked for further testing
>>
>> Oh, that good old "masked for testing", which actually never works.
>
> Exactly.

Yes, people should stop abusing package.mask for testing purposes. If
someone has tested something or it is already known to be broken, then a
mask is reasonable.
If something is that fragile that you want to add it to the tree masked,
maybe it isn't even ready for it yet.
Fun-stuff, alpha-software and other broken things have a good place in
overlays.

That said, we should probably set up a policy to get this into peoples
heads: don't mask anything without a bug reference. Sure... there are
always exceptions. That's why we would call it a policy.

If gentoo users run ~arch they have to accept the fact of downgrades,
manual intervention etc. That's what ~arch is for and I am using it
exactly like that.

Doing the opposite
* increases the workload, because we are effectively running 3 branches
* decreases the amount of testing for that time period, because... it's
masked
* causes confusion (see this thread)
* decreases the quality of our stable branch, because people suddenly
expect the unstable branch to be ...stable and don't bother with filing
stabilization requests anymore
* makes the whole testing/stabilization iteration actually slower,
possibly even causing unnecessary exposures to security issues