Rich Freeman:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 8:12 AM, hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Also, those masks are rarely short-term in practice, because well, see
>> this thread.
>
> Is there any evidence to support this statement?  You only notice
> masks when they're a problem, and these kinds of masks tend to be a
> problem only if they're long-term.

Yeah, I'v been collecting and analyzing data over the years to come up
with the results just now ;)

I was just giving my own perception of things.

>> Developer overlays are widely used. So yes, ~arch users will be testing
>> it, probably even arch users. It also limits the potential damage for
>> the user, because he can very easily toss out the crap by just
>> removing/masking the whole overlay instead of going on adventure reading
>> broken portage output.
>>

> If I want three users following a bug to test something, it is far
> easier to tell them to just unmask it than to tell them to go install
> my developer overlay.  Also, right now you can't easily pull in just
> one package from an overlay, so they get the benefit of installing
> whatever else is in my overlay.

'layman -a overlay && flaggie foo +~amd64 && emerge -av1 foo' can be
easier than figuring out masks that maybe even go across multiple
dependencies (need to remind anyone of multilib masks and how screwed
anyone was/is who mixes only a few ~arch packages with arch?).

Also, pulling in just one package from an overlay is almost the same as
unmasking a tree ebuild.

> And as I stated previously creating an overlay for one package is
> unnecessary work.

For single packages, you use your developer overlay. For more complex
things like multilib, you create a separate one.

> I'm not saying that we should be leaving stuff in the tree for six
> months for "testing" - just that there are cases where it can be
> convenient to have a short-term mask.

This is still too vague for me. If it's expected to be short-term, then
it can as well just land in ~arch.

If it's not expected to be short-term, then I cannot follow the argument.