On Mon, 2014-07-21 at 22:56 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
> Yes, it does. I'm not sure if it leads anywhere, though. Dynamic deps
> are a pipe dream. You can't implement them properly, so we're using
> half-working implementation as an excuse to be lazy.

Why not adapt the updates mechanism for modifying rdepends? Perhaps
something like

rdepends-add foo-bar/blah-3.14 "wombat? ( >=dev-libs/wombat-1.0 )"

This would give the package manager all the benefits of static dep
resolution while allowing us to dynamically make simple changes (like
adding a missing dependency to an ebuild) without forcing users to
rebuild the package.