All,

This is my previous post, added on the right thread this time.

as I have always said, my views can evolve with civil discussion, and
there has been some good feedback on this.

I also got a suggestion for handling network file systems that would mean we
wouldn't have to keep track of the specific clients needed to mount
network file systems; we could let the distros tell us what the network
file system types are and which services should be started to support
them.

Look at the new-netmount branch for that. Basically it would be a series
of files in a directory which would have the name of a filesystem type
as their file name, then inside each file, the name of the service that
supports them.

The point of debate I suppose is the dependency type that should be used
for these. On the branch it is use, which requires you to add the
appropriate service to the runlevel netmount is in, but some want it to
be want once it is implemented.

Also, I want to talk more about netmount and localmount failing.

If netmount and localmount are set up to fail if one of the file systems
they mount fails (which is what other init systems out there do), the
sys admin can control whether the mount -a command cares about the
status of specific file systems by adding nofail to the mount options in
fstab. By default it would care, but if you add nofail to the mount
options, you would affectively tell mount -a to not be concerned about
whether the mount succeeds or not.

Thoughts?

William