> I'd like to propose a new kind of DEPEND syntax: <>

> This would mean "Any version but the one specified" and is usefull
> when you have a dependency on another package but a single version
> of it is not compatible for example.

This doesn't look like a feature that would be needed very often.
Since "<>cat/foo-1" is equivalent to "|| ( >cat/foo-1 <cat-foo-1 )"
I wonder if it's worth the effort.

> [...]

> What do you think and would is the proper way to suggest this for a
> new EAPI? A new bug? On what?

It should be filed as a bug (assigned to "Gentoo Hosted Projects" /
"PMS/EAPI").

Your proposal looks like a special case of bug 4315, though.

Ulrich