On 16 Apr 2016 09:23, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> So why on earth are we applying a random patch that upstream is not
> using

not everyone uses glibc, and glibc *is* moving in this direction.  Gentoo
is simply accelerating the change ... otherwise glibc will take longer to
do the actual migration.  packages failing to build under glibc already
fail to build in other environments.

> *and* unleashing it on ~arch without any of the usual precautions
> like masking the package until some of the issues have been smoked out?

it was masked for a while, some bugs were fixed, but no new ones were
really being found.  so in the absence of data showing a problem,
unmasking is normal.
-mike