On 08/28/2016 08:30 AM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
> On 08/24/2016 09:42 AM, Zac Medico wrote:
>> On 08/24/2016 09:33 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>>>   * no benefit put forth so far, other than that it's the same file that
>>>     systemd uses, which is true but not beneficial as far as I can tell
>>
>> It's a de facto standard. Being different for the sake of being
>> different is not a virtue in cases like this.
>>

> And doing things because "everyone else does it" is dumb, because it
> precludes our ability to choose and makes us subject to the decisions
> made outside of our distribution. Of course, as a distro we're subject
> to outside decisions often, but what's the point of being a distro if
> you're doing things the same way everyone else does?

At this point I feel the need to point at /etc/mtab and how it doesn't
work anymore. Or rather:

In the old days it did *not* carry all mountpoints, so you could hide
things like /dev and /run so that "umount -a" would not screw you sideways.

Then tools forgot to properly update mtab because hurr why u no symlink
to /proc/mounts (oh wait, /proc/self/mounts )

So everyone migrated to /etc/mtab as a symlink (even OpenRC, because
everyone does it)

... and now if you still instincively use umount -a you unmount /run and
other bits, breaking lots of stuff (can't shutdown if OpenRC strongly
considers not having booted!)

That's why some of us are very resistant to change.