On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 10:04:20 -0400
Michael Orlitzky <m...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 09/14/2016 09:50 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
> >
> > that might be better, but how do you map date / $PV to commit ?
> >

> Well, for that last one, I just looked down the list of commits and
> found the last one that happened before the date of the snapshot.
>
> But, if you're creating a new snapshot, it's easy. What day is it?
> That's the date of the snapshot, and you want the newest commit.

Seems I missed some questions in the original reply:
- What day is it ?
- How to write that so that it is PMS-compliant and properly ordered
  and following ebuild's conventions ?

Nothing is hard, it's just a complete waste of time to redo that
every time.

> > remember, we want ebuilds that are as much as possible
> > version-agnostic, otherwise it breaks simple copy of ebuilds to
> > bump a version...
> >

> With the COMMIT=... approach, all you have to do is copy the ebuild
> to a new one with today's date, and update the COMMIT variable to the
> latest commit listed on github.

So, to sum it up, I have to:
- Open a browser, go to github (*)
- Find out latest commit hash, copy it
- (*) Copy the ebuild, setting a 8 digit version representing the date
- Open an editor
- Edit COMMIT='...' variable by pasting what was found on github. (*)

Thanks, but I prefer by far:
- Run a script
- Copy ebuild, setting version printed by the script.

(*) represents everytime i have to switch my hands between keyboard and
mouse