On 2020-08-09 23:14, William Hubbs wrote:
> Here is something else to consider.
>
> Blueness and any of the other eudev maintainers are doing good work
> for alternative c library support such as musl. In fact, the musl
> profiles hard mask sys-fs/udev, so they are covered no matter what
> happens as a result of this thread.
>
> Eudev is supposed to be udev without systemd along with alternative c
> library support, but it appears to be behind what eudev offers.
>
> The following commit appears to be the last time eudev synced with udev:
>
> https://github.com/gentoo/eudev/commit/2ab887ec67afd15eb9b0849467f1f9c036a2b6c8
>
> There are roughly 100 commits in the udev master branch since the date of this
> sync:
>
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commits/master/src/udev
>
> There are several new commits in libudev and udev rules since then as
> well:
>
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commits/master/src/libudev
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commits/master/rules.d
>
> I would like to publically thank Leio for providing me with the
> information above.
>
> I asked the council for guidance and was told that they don't need to be
> involved, so I guess the best thing to do now is call for testers.
>
> It would be helpful if people migrate their systems manually from eudev to
> udev
> and report issues.
>
> I'm not a valid test case because I have always run udev.

This is not answering my questions.

If anything from above would be valid (like others have asked you for
bugs and already mentioned that commit count alone don't say anything)
we wouldn't just be talking about switching default for *new*
installations. Instead we would need to talk about ditching eudev in
general...

So for me it still looks like change for change's sake without a real
reason.

--
Regards,
Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer