On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 3:06 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> when I got to the part about it not likely to affect Gentoo, my level of
> concern dropped significantly.  If this is still true, there's no need to be
> concerned.

"not likely" is the best way to characterize this.  The exploit has
not been fully analyzed, and it could have additional malicious
behavior, either designed by its author, or perhaps even unintended by
its author.

I just wanted to toss in that caveat, but agree that the defaults
deployed in Gentoo seem the most sensible for general use.  There is
nothing magical about xz - ANY widely-used library could have
something like this embedded in it, and the attacker exploited what
they had access to in order to go after a configuration that was going
to be widely deployed and reachable (xz+deb/rpm+systemd+openssh).  If
the attacker had an intended target that used gentoo+openrc and access
to something in our supply chain, this could have been a vulnerability
that only impacted Gentoo.

I think the big lesson here is that FOSS continues to suffer from core
dependencies that are challenged for resources, and that efforts to
fix this have to constantly keep up with the changing landscape.  xz
is going on 15 years old, but I don't think it was nearly as commonly
used until fairly recently.

libz has been a pretty well-known source of security flaws for ages
(granted, usually not intentional like this).  It isn't too surprising
that in both cases compression libraries were targeted, as these are
so widely depended on.

This is getting tangential, but part of me wonders if there is a
better way to do authentication.  Programs like ssh tend to run as
root so that they can authenticate users and then fork and suid to the
appropriate user.  Could some OS-level facility be created to allow
unprivileged processes to run the daemons and then as part of the
authentication process they can have the OS accept a controlled and
minimal set of data to create the process as the new user and hand
over the connection?  PAM already has a large amount of control over
the authentication process, so it seems like we just need to change
the security context that this runs in.  That's just
brainstorming-level thinking though - there could be obvious issues
with this that just haven't occurred to me.

--
Rich