On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Balaji Srinivasan wrote:

> The error log just says that Apache was started. No PHP info. I did
> some digging in and found out that apache does not include any of the
> PHP stuff but apache2 does.
>
> Should I be using apache2?
> If so how do I emerge it?

To be honest, I hate having to use any kinda package management system
mess with my apache/php/mod_ssl installation.  There are just *too* many
combinations to get it right.  So I always download the sources and
compile from scratch and install everything under /opt so it doesn't
affect the package managed system in /usr.

But to answer your question, if you're doing some basic dev stuff then
go ahead and install apache2+php.  But it's still not ready for
production use because the a lot of the php extensions aren't thread
safe.  And to emerge it, put 'apache2' in your USE flags and then
'emerge apache2 mod_php'.  (yes, you have to re-emerge mod_php to use
apache2 instead of apache)

later,
ajay