Is that strictly needed?  Try using a common NFS mounted distfile
directory. The first machine to request a tarball will load it into the
common directory and the rest get it from there.  With a http server,
you will still have to get the tarballs in some way, and probably have a
lot of unwanted ones in the process if you "grab the lot"

*catch is you need to ensure that only one machine does the download at
a time as two or more downloading the same tarball makes a mess!  As I
control which machine is emergeing, this does not cause a problem for me
- there is probably some procedural or scriptable solution if one thinks
hard enuff!

BillK