Robert Cole wrote:
> I setup simular and do rsync ok but the files still end up being pulled
> off an http mirror.

There are two separate mechanisms, rsync mirrors for /usr/portage and
http mirrors for distfiles and other stuff.  Rsync is really good for
grabbing a whole tree, while they seem to have gone with http for
grabbing individual files when you choose to emerge a particular ebuild.

It would appear (I haven't done this yet) that if you enable an http
daemon on your primary Gentoo machine and point its docroot at
/usr/portage, then prefix that to GENTOO_MIRRORS on your other machines,
it should look for distfiles/tarballname there first and fall back to the
official mirrors listed after it if you don't have that particular tarball
locally yet.  The directory structure of the http servers isn't *quite*
the same as the /usr/portage tree (rant,rant), but this might be a usable
approximation.

--
Anthony de Boer