Hi,

I've been a RH8 user for a few months, and I'm really sick of the rpm stuff. I had a lot of problems installing a few things, and I still have things not working, like video conferencing. I heard of the gentoo distribution and thought I'd give it a try.

I'm a freelance Java developer, and I have two machines: one that serves as develoment server (CVS, Apache, JBoss, OC4J, SAPDb, etc) and another one that I use as development workstation (Gnome, Netbeans, and the usual stuff like Mozilla, OpenOffice,...). I have taken a look to several reviews of Gentoo, and they all tell the same about installing it: it takes a loooooong time. I cannot afford having one of my machines down for a long period of time, so I was thinking about the way of migrating from RH8 to Gentoo. I have thought of buying another hard disk, install Gentoo on it, pass all my files from the old system to the new system, and use the old disk to repeat the same process in the new machine... what do you think of this? Any other solution? Please, notice I don't want to have several distributions lying around, so I think that making another partition and adding a new system to GRUB is not a solution.

About installation time... my machines are AMD (1Ghz and 1,66 Ghz) with 256 and 512Mb of RAM. I have an ADSL connection that gives me 25Kbytes/s. How much time do you think I may spend installing these systems? Is there any way to leverage the downloaded sources, so I don't have to download the same twice? May I install Gentoo in several short steps shuting down the machine between them? Another question... is it possible to "rollback" an installation in Gentoo?

   Regards
   Jose