Jose Gonzalez Gomez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>     I'm a freelance Java developer, and I have two machines: one that
>     serves as develoment server (CVS, Apache, JBoss, OC4J, SAPDb, etc)
>     and another one that I use as development workstation (Gnome,
>     Netbeans, and the usual stuff like Mozilla, OpenOffice,...). I
>     have taken a look to several reviews of Gentoo, and they all tell
>     the same about installing it: it takes a loooooong time. I cannot

I'm in a similar situation to yours (almost same tool set too). What I
do is build my next gentoo install on whatever box (rh, gentoo etc.)
in a chroot. This way I'm not wasting any time waiting for things to
emerge. Than I tar up my chroot, keep it some place safe, boot,
partition and unpack the tarballs across the network (NFS, FTP, netcat
-- whatever is handy). This way I have exactly the system I want on
first boot (GNOME, Emacs, Java etc.) with about 20 minutes (tops)
down-time. You hit the ground running so to speak.

Matt
--
Matthew Kennedy
Gentoo Linux Developer