Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:

Hi,

I'm a freelance Java developer, and I have two machines: one that serves as develoment server .... I have taken a look to several reviews of Gentoo, and they all tell the same about installing it: it
takes a loooooong time. I cannot afford having one of my machines down for a long period of time, so I was thinking about the way of migrating from RH8 to Gentoo. I have thought of buying another hard disk, install Gentoo on it, pass all my files from the old system to
the new system, and use the old disk to repeat the same process in the new machine... what do you think of this? Any other solution?

I installed gentoo on a second drive (well, I have 3 hd's on this box (drives are cheap) and it took about 30 hrs to get a working kde system built from stage 1. That does include the false start when I didn't follow directions and I somehow broke the chroot environment during the first installation and had to startover =) I don't know if it could have taken less time because I didn't babysit the installation, I started up the longer operations and went to bed, when I got up it had stopped at some point waiting for a user response.

Oh yeah, I have a Athlon-xp 2k with 512 mb ram and a cable connection.

About installation time... my machines are AMD (1Ghz and 1,66 Ghz) with 256 and 512Mb of RAM. I have an ADSL connection that gives me 25Kbytes/s. How much time do you think I may spend installing these systems? Is there any way to leverage the downloaded sources, so I don't have to download the same twice? May I install Gentoo in several short steps shuting down the machine between them? Another question... is it possible to "rollback" an installation in Gentoo?

I don't know about the rollback. You don't have to redownload the source twice, it's cached. Unless there was an update to the software.

Neal