On ons, 2003-03-05 at 15:42, Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>     I've been a RH8 user for a few months, and I'm really sick of the
> rpm stuff. I had a lot of problems installing a few things, and I still
> have things not working, like video conferencing. I heard of the gentoo
> distribution and thought I'd give it a try.
>
>     I'm a freelance Java developer, and I have two machines: one that
> serves as develoment server (CVS, Apache, JBoss, OC4J, SAPDb, etc) and
> another one that I use as development workstation (Gnome, Netbeans, and
> the usual stuff like Mozilla, OpenOffice,...). I have taken a look to
> several reviews of Gentoo, and they all tell the same about installing
> it: it takes a loooooong time. I cannot afford having one of my machines
> down for a long period of time, so I was thinking about the way of
> migrating from RH8 to Gentoo. I have thought of buying another hard
> disk, install Gentoo on it, pass all my files from the old system to the
> new system, and use the old disk to repeat the same process in the new
> machine... what do you think of this? Any other solution?

hmm, do u mean compiling one one machine and move the allready compiled
programs to the other machine? im not sure, but i suppose that should
work if the machine have equal hardware

>  Please, notice
> I don't want to have several distributions lying around, so I think that
> making another partition and adding a new system to GRUB is not a solution.
>
>     About installation time... my machines are AMD (1Ghz and 1,66 Ghz)
> with 256 and 512Mb of RAM.

yes, installation takes time..., but you should have a ready system if
you let it compile the whole weekend (including nights)

> I have an ADSL connection that gives me
> 25Kbytes/s. How much time do you think I may spend installing these
> systems? Is there any way to leverage the downloaded sources, so I don't
> have to download the same twice?

yes, downloaded files are saved and are not deletead unless you do it by
yourself, so u could do one of the boxes one weekend, then nfs share the
downloaded sources and move them over to the other machine