Perhaps a better way might be to ask the developers about creating a
separate protected list, the sole content of which would be exclusions.
This might be helpful for anybody trying to strip an installation to
the lightest weight possible (and keep it that way).  It's just a thought,
and might show my ignorance.

-rex