I have been having a lot of problems with this as well. ?Setting use=-arts didn't do any good. ?I finally went in and added a number of packages starting with kde-3.1.1 to /usr/portage/profiles/package-mask so that I built with an older version of kde. ?This also stopped a similar problem with building gnome where somebody put a dependency on qt for gnome. ?gnome should never have a dependency on qt. ?
Mitchell James