On Wednesday 02 April 2003 10:00 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I do not do nightly upgrades into 2003-spring, I keep that frozen (and
> merge in security fixes by adding those ebuilds, digest files, and
> meta-data caches by hand).

I am doing the same thing for our gentoo servers, with one variation. I try to
keep the stapshot completely clean, and add updates using PORTDIR_OVERLAY.

So far this has been very stable for us, and I am very pleased with the
arrangement. I am about to migrate our last few redhat servers over the next
few weeks.

So far there has only been one problem.... The ebuild for a recent openssl
update needed a more recent portage than we had been using, the updated
portage needed a newer bash, and the updated bash ebuild also needed a newer
portage. deadlock! We have now adopted a policy of updating portage every 8
weeks, even on the stable servers, even when we dont think we need an update.