> Seems to me the spirit of Gentoo is not to 'compete' with redhat or
any other distribution.

> Being more a meta-distribution allows the user to control what they
have on
> there machine. That and the portage systems keeps my machine up to
date with
> the software I choose to install. It also allows me to avoid rpm
dependency
> nightmares. (Anyone remember what it was like installing Xine on
RedHat?)

> If a company can not understand those issues, (Linux != RedHat) they
should
> stick with Redhat, and more power to them. But to expect Gentoo to
become
> like RedHat seems to me a way of limiting choice.
>
> Educate the companies.. do not dumb down Gentoo!

Anyway it is always possible that a third company picks up Gentoo and
aims it for the corporate world, as in Gentoo-Enterprise or some such.
For some reason Gentoo is a meta-distribution as you said. This implies
that people can build specific distributions out of the current system.
I am still wondering why nobody has done this. It seems like a great
idea. You have the base, free, completely non-commercial oriented
meta-distro Gentoo, and then you have other companies offer specialized
versions aimed at different sectors. It is a win-win situation.

--
Vano D <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>