On Friday 06 June 2003 23:29, Jean Magnan wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am planning to install gentoo instead of some other distro; I read the
> doc but found nothing about having more than /boot and / partitions. I wish
> to install at least a /home partition.
> What would do?

Make the needed partitions, mount them, before you chroot into the
directory-tree (like /mnt/gentoo /mnt/gentoo/usr /mnt/gentoo/var etc)
While it compiles, you can easily edit fstab, and when your box reboots,
everything is fine.

I have:
/dev/hda1 /boot
/dev/hda5 /
/dev/hda6 /tmp
/dev/hdb1 /var
/dev/hdb3 /home
/dev/hdg1 swap
/dev/hdg3 /usr/portage

/dev/hdb2 /mnt/capture (for capturing from my bt848 based card)
/dev/hde1 /mnt/win1 (old vfat formated partition used for files, tmp files etc
once home of a win95b installation)
/dev/hde2 /mnt/win2 (the old data-partition of the former one)

/dev/sda1               /mnt/flash (usb stick)

You should put /tmp and /var on own partitions. /tmp because everybody is
allowed to fill it up.. and a full /-partition is no fun. /var is also prone
to become huge.. so a seperate partition reduces the risk of annoying
problems.

/home on a own partition is a wise choice, because it is easy to reinstall
your whole system, without damaging your precious data.

Glück Auf
Volker