Hi,

On Sunday 08 June 2003 01:45, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 16:39:11 +0200
>
> "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > You should put /tmp and /var on own partitions. /tmp because everybody
> > is allowed to fill it up.. and a full /-partition is no fun. /var is
> > also prone to become huge.. so a seperate partition reduces the risk
> > of annoying problems.
> >
> > /home on a own partition is a wise choice, because it is easy to
> > reinstall your whole system, without damaging your precious data.
>
> How big did you make your partitions? specifically, /home, /var and
> /tmp? I am fixing to do the same when I have a day off from work, I have
> a secondary drive (/dev/hdc) that's going bad that has a different
> distro on it, so I am fixing to move the old win drive (/dev/hda) to
> it's place and put a brand new shiny 80gb on /dev/hda, install gentoo
> on it, then back up/dev/hdb and slice it up for /home and /var and /tmp.
> I figure I can chroot-install gentoo on the new drive so I won't have
> too much down time.

/dev/hda6             3.4G  1.7G  1.7G  50% /tmp
/dev/hdb1             3.8G  1.7G  2.1G  46% /var
/dev/hdb3              12G  9.5G  1.9G  84% /home

/tmp and /var are very 'full', lots of undeleted tmp-stuff...

If you realy use your installation, /home can't be big enough... (imho of
course).

Glück Auf,
Volker