On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 16:39:11 +0200
"Hemmann, Volker Armin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 06 June 2003 23:29, Jean Magnan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I am planning to install gentoo instead of some other distro; I read
> > the doc but found nothing about having more than /boot and /
> > partitions. I wish to install at least a /home partition.
> > What would do?
>
> Make the needed partitions, mount them, before you chroot into the
> directory-tree (like /mnt/gentoo /mnt/gentoo/usr /mnt/gentoo/var etc)
> While it compiles, you can easily edit fstab, and when your box
> reboots, everything is fine.
>
> I have:
> /dev/hda1 /boot
> /dev/hda5 /
> /dev/hda6 /tmp
> /dev/hdb1 /var
> /dev/hdb3 /home
> /dev/hdg1 swap
> /dev/hdg3 /usr/portage
...snip...

> You should put /tmp and /var on own partitions. /tmp because everybody
> is allowed to fill it up.. and a full /-partition is no fun. /var is
> also prone to become huge.. so a seperate partition reduces the risk
> of annoying problems.
>
> /home on a own partition is a wise choice, because it is easy to
> reinstall your whole system, without damaging your precious data.

How big did you make your partitions? specifically, /home, /var and
/tmp? I am fixing to do the same when I have a day off from work, I have
a secondary drive (/dev/hdc) that's going bad that has a different
distro on it, so I am fixing to move the old win drive (/dev/hda) to
it's place and put a brand new shiny 80gb on /dev/hda, install gentoo
on it, then back up/dev/hdb and slice it up for /home and /var and /tmp.
I figure I can chroot-install gentoo on the new drive so I won't have
too much down time.

--
When the government bureau's remedies don't match your problem, you
modify