Michael Rasile wrote:

On Wed Jun 04, 2003 at 01:56:25AM +0200 or thereabouts, Norbert Kamenicky wrote:

Michael Rasile wrote:

Greetings!
I was wondering if anyone has successfully set up a Canon Lide30 USB scanner under gentoo. This has become very frustrating. Everything that I know is set up correctly, usb in the kernel and all, sane-find-scanner finds the device, but xsane absolutely will not find the scanner. I even installed the latest version of xsane, but no luck. When I was using Mandrake 9.1 with the same scanner under xsane, it worked perfectly and everything was configured. I believe it's an xsane problem, which is frustrating the hell out of me. I went to the xsane web site and downloaded the plustek driver, which is supposed to be used with my Canon scanner, but I couldn't get it to work. I've checked all the docs, but with no luck. If anyone knows anything or can give me some hints or websites that I've missed, I'll be most grateful. Thanks for anything.

Mike

Helo Mike,

check this:
1. if scanimage --list-devices finds your scanner
2. if your scanner is defined in /etc/hotplug/usb.distmap
3. if /dev/usb/scanner0 belongs to you
4. try export SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE=canon:/dev/usb/scanner0 and start xsane

noro

Noro,
Thanks for the tip. When I do scanimage --list-devices it does not find my scanner but
when I do sane-find-scanner it finds the scanner. WTF? Go figure, I haven't a clue. I
really like Gentoo a lot, much better than Mandrake 9.1 but at least Mandrake set up
my scanner. You know, I really don't use my scanner that much but it bugs that I can't
get it to work. :-) Thanks for the advice. I'll keep trying.

Mike

I had the same problem about two weeks ago, but solved
it in 15 minutes :-)

just to complete the list of possible problems ...

it's fine to check /etc/modules.conf if there is
something like:

alias char-major-180-48 scanner
alias /dev/usb/scanner0 scanner
options scanner vendor=0x??? product=0x???

(??? should fit to your scanner)