> > What have people been doing about this?
>
> With huge or at least big emerges, I've downloaded the stuff first with:
> emerge world -uDf
>
> and started the emerge when going to bed or work.
>
> --
> janne

Janne,
   Thanks for the responses. I ended up doing the emerge on portage first
since that requires that I update my make.conf file, and then ran the rest
of it overnight. It was done when I got up this morning.

   This etc-update step that's required makes me wonder if I'm doing it
correctly though. It seems that every time I must hand edit the make.conf
file to put in my USE settings and processor choices. I've been using the -3
option. Is there a more automated way to do this that wouldn't require the
hand editing?

   Anyway, it's all done this time. The machine seems happy.

Cheers,
Mark