Hi,
We've been trying to come up with a solution for deploying a distfile mirror
for our university intranet.

There are a decent number of Gentoo users here, and it is a waste of bandwidth
with people downloading the same packages off the internet.

* So, we set up a central FTP server with certain popular distfiles.
* We also started maintaining a list of all Gentoo users within the campus who
were putting up *their distfiles* for FTP. So that people could add those
servers to GENTOO_MIRRORS in their make.conf's

This is not exactly the most viable solution, because:
* It's difficult keeping track of Gentoo users with FTP servers on their
machines.
* Say, a certain distfile is on X's machine, but not on the central FTP
server, and X has switched off his machine - the person who needs the
distfile will have to download it off the net - even though the file is
available in the LAN.

* Could /usr/portage/distfiles be mounted as a SMB share, an NFS mount point,
an AFS mount-point?
* We would also be using a P2P service in the campus shorty. Could portage
pick off files from the P2P network?
* Has anyone tried this? What was your experience?

TIA,
Nandz.