Hi!

I noticed today that I have linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r3, -r4 and -r5 sources
on my hard disk, working and backup kernel are both r5.

#emerge clean

tells me there are no outdated packages on my system. I understand
that the kernel sources are an important part of the system, but since
I slowly run out of disk space I'ld like to get rid of r3 and r4.
Is it safe to do a

#emerge -C linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r3 linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r4

or are the old versions (or at least the headers) still needed?

If it's OK to clean them, why doesn't portage do it by itself when updating?

Frank