On Monday 23 June 2003 15:14, MAL wrote:
> Frank Hellmuth wrote:
> > Is it safe to do a
> >
> > #emerge -C linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r3 linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r4
>
> They aren't cleaned, as often previous sources are needed still, such as
> when you want to compile a module for a previous version.
>
> Even when you run the above command, the directories will remain in
> /usr/src, because when you compiled your kernel, you generate additional
> files that weren't installed by the emerge.  So _after_ unmerging, you
> can rm -rf /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r{3,4}

Thanks for the information, now that I've tried it, I found that there are no
ebuilds for r3 and r4 in the portage tree anymore. So is there any way to
unmerge them using portage-tools? Or do I just have to remove the
directories?

Hmmm --- esp. for something important like the kernel sources
it leaves a bad taste: install via emerge, uninstall via adding ebuilds manually to
PORTDIR_OVERLAY or removing directories...

Frank