Frank Hellmuth wrote:
Hi!

I noticed today that I have linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r3, -r4 and -r5 sources
on my hard disk, working and backup kernel are both r5.

#emerge clean

tells me there are no outdated packages on my system. I understand
that the kernel sources are an important part of the system, but since
I slowly run out of disk space I'ld like to get rid of r3 and r4.
Is it safe to do a

#emerge -C linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r3 linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r4

They aren't cleaned, as often previous sources are needed still, such as when you want to compile a module for a previous version.

Even when you run the above command, the directories will remain in /usr/src, because when you compiled your kernel, you generate additional files that weren't installed by the emerge. So _after_ unmerging, you can rm -rf /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-gentoo-r{3,4}

or are the old versions (or at least the headers) still needed?

That's why they remain... in case you're still using them.

If it's OK to clean them, why doesn't portage do it by itself when updating?

" "

Frank

MAL