On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 01:04:21AM +0100, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
> Jesper Blauendahl wrote:
> Okay.  First things first: adding a resolution like
> vesa:1280x1024 and adding a frequency like vesa:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> has _no_effect_ whatsoever.  Resolution and colour depth are
> determined solely by the vga= value and hertz is by default
> 60Hz which cannot be changed.

This is not true.  There is a vesa framebuffer device that is
completely separate from the text mode you get by default.

> Secondly, if you are using nvidia kernel support then vesa:
> should be riva: I think.  However, it is best to disable
> graphics card specific support in kernel and use vesa since
> nvidia riva support can cause problems.

But...as many of us have learned the hard way, the riva
framebuffer device tends to conflict with the closed-source,
accelerated NVidia XFree drivers.  Some get away with it, and
some don't.  If your computer locks in X, or trying to start it
up or even close it down, try using something else besides the
riva framebuffer device.

    - richard

--
Richard Kilgore