On 2003.06.23 22:09, Dhruba Bandopadhyay wrote:
General email guidelines:

-- Forward emails as attachment and not as inline text.

Why as an attatchment? I usually either bounce mail if it needs to be redirected, or forward inline for ease of reading. Some mail clients make it a pain to view attatchments, and some mailclients might not tag them as text/plain.

-- Use sigdashes (--) before your signature.

Just another clarification request? Back in the day it was used to separate one's signature from the message. This made it easy for scripts to parse incoming email (such as mailman or something), but why is this really neccessary on a regular basis?

Granted, i'll agree that email that just has "CI" or something on a line is kind of annoying, but (for example I will use my sig) a dash-
name could be used. Parsing of content is much harder, but that is really unneccessary for the most part.

-- When referring to a web resource provide web link rather than the resource itself.
-- When providing lengthy web links put on a new line to prevent mixing with remainder of text.

Also, on other mailing lists I'm on, links are often put in numbered footnotes. In things like the GWN, footnotes are after each paragraph rather than the end of the mail. Some people place footnotes after each paragraph un-numbered. Is this writer's preference?

-Chris I

The primary function of the design engineer is to make things
difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.