On Tuesday 24 June 2003 16:28, William Kenworthy wrote:
> Bottom posting that are not very severely trimmed > /dev/null
>
> Please understand that bottom posting in many email readers is severely
> painful, just as the same as top posting can be in others - there's a
> reason why top posting is so popular!
>
> This comes up regularly, and if memory serves me correctly, top posting
> is actually the more correct method by history, but not by much
>
> It can create an almost religious argument - live and let live please!
>
> You can bottom post, thats fine, just understand that many of your
> messages will not get read ...

<rant>

Oh dear.  When I read this, I almost wanted to rip my hair out ;).  I do feel
that this could spark a debate of emacs vs. vim proportion (well, maybe not
*that* large).  However, top posting is one of *the* most annoying things I
have EVER come accross.  It happens WAY too frequently here (*especially* on
here on the GUML) and on the LKML.  I find it _much_ harder to follow a
thread that has been broken by top posting.  Mind you, if you have a _proper_
cleint (KMail does this beautifully), threads that have no new messages are
collapsed when you switch to a certain folder, and threads with new messages
are expanded.  Also, your 'Goto Next Unread' button is your friend.

Top posting is out of hand on this ML, IMHO.  When a thread has 7 top posts in
one day, it's just plain silly.  You may agree with this point and be aware
it happens more than infrequently on here.

</rant>

--
Zack Gilburd
 http://tehunlose.com