Ohad Lutzky wrote:
I'm a total networking noob, but I'd like to set up a home network. My
current PC (running Linux) is connected over ADSL using rp-pppoe. It has
a printer as well, running on CUPS. My other PC, an old Packard Bell
(bleh) P133 running (walking, rather) Win98. How would I set this up?
The only home LAN setup I've ever seen is connecting the hub to the
modem, and then connecting PCs to the hub. But my ADSL connection
requires me to "log in" (rp-pppoe takes care of that). Also, will the
two PCs "see" each other on a local network? Or will they have to
communicate over the external network? If so, how will they be assigned
different IPs?

I'm afraid you can't connect a modem to a hub (in this circumstance) :)
If your ADSL modem only has an ethernet port, your linux box will need two network cards. One to connect the PC to the hub, and one to connect the PC to the modem. If the modem has a USB port, and it's one of the (relatively few) ADSL modems with a Linux driver, you could connect it via USB and thus avoid the need for a second network card.

To actually get the second PC on the internet, your Linux PC will need to have the following enabled in the kernel:

Networking options --->
  IP: Netfilter Configuration  --->
    Connection tracking [M]
    IP tables support [M]
    Full NAT [M]
      MASQUERADE target support [M]

Your Linux machine needs the above options to perform NAT.. specifically IP masquerading. This allows both your PCs to have LAN IP addresses, (192.168.0.x), but both use the internet, (by having their IP address 'translated' into your ADSL IP address, and back).

You may well also want some firewalling options, so enable at least:

Networking options --->
  IP: Netfilter Configuration  --->
    Packet filtering [M]

All these can be staticly compiled instead of modules.

You then need some way of enabling NAT, (and possibly firewall).
There are some graphical firewall setup programs, but I think it's easier and faster to get it up and running with a simple pre-written script.

I find this one satisfactory for home use:
http://firewall.lutel.pl/

Simply fill in your various interface names, and specify what ports you want available to the internet and the LAN, then run it with ./firewall start. Note: you will need to have recompiled your kernel and the modules, and rebooted, before this can do it's job.

The last step is to set up your two PCs /internal/ interfaces. For such a small network, I would simply give your Linux PC the IP:

192.168.0.254

and your Win98 machine: 192.168.0.1

x.x.x.254 is commonly used for a gateway machine on LAN, and this is exactly what your Linux PC will be.

You will also need to set your Win98 box's Default Gateway to 192.168.0.254, and it's DNS servers to whatever your ISP gave you.

MAL