Hi all,

I am planning to build a file server running Gentoo, and before I start
buying equipment, I would like to ask if anyone had any experience with
a similar setup.

Here's the challenge:

I need to provide around 3 TB of disk space with a limited budget. The
files I need to store are all HD video frames, typically in SGI format,
file size around 8 MB each. The files will be accesed from an SGI IRIX
workstations and from one Win2K box. All these have Gigabit ethernet
interfaces.

Some questions.

-I really don' t have the budget to do this with SCSI disks, so I
planned to use two 3ware 7500-8 ATA cards and WD 250 GB drives. I would
configure the 3wares for RAID-5, this would give me approximately 3.4 TB
with 16 drives. I would then like to stripe the two RAID's with Linux
software RAID0, hoping this could crank up the perfomance a little bit.
Has anyone ever done this ? What would be the best chunk size for the
software stripe, knowing that all files will be approximately 8 MB in
size?

-Which file system would give the best results for this setup (ext3,
reiser,xfs ...) ? Is there any way to tweak these files systems for
optimal perfomance (8MB files) ?

-Any tips to boost network performance ? Any tips for Samba and nfs ? Or
is there another network protocol I could try ?

-I have an AOpen dual PIII board available with two PIII-800 processors.
Would this be enough, or could I have better performances using a newer
board (dual Athlon, Xeon, ...) ?

-How important is memory (speed, size) for this application? How much
should I use ?

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated !

--
Karl Huysmans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>