Karl Huysmans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am planning to build a file server running Gentoo, and before I start
> buying equipment, I would like to ask if anyone had any experience with
> a similar setup.
>
> Here's the challenge:
>
> I need to provide around 3 TB of disk space with a limited budget. The
> files I need to store are all HD video frames, typically in SGI format,
> file size around 8 MB each. The files will be accesed from an SGI IRIX
> workstations and from one Win2K box. All these have Gigabit ethernet
> interfaces.

Forget about the idea building a 3TB fs. It won't work - regardless of
the file system. Maximum guaranteed size is 1TB; 2TB might work if the
moon is in the right place and you throw something (whatever) over the
left shoulder behind you ;)

The reason are the limits in the current block device layer.
See also
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ext3-users&m=103409823302990&w=2

Cheers,
Juri