On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 05:53, Timo Boettcher wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Nachricht vom Samstag, 12. Juli 2003, 21:50:49:
>
> > The argument seems to go that on a DP machine one processor will
> > handle the GUI/OS/drivers and the second processor will handle the
> > audio application. However, no one (that I know of anyway) has
> > really measured this quantitatively and shown it to be true. (It
> > might be to subjective anyway...) Any thoughts?
> AFAIK the trick of SMP (Symetric Multi Processing) is that it is
> symetric, there is no cpu dedicated to some (OS|Driver|Gui|App) Task.
> If thats wrong, please correct me.

I don't know. I'm really asking myself. As I said, I think this is urban
legend, or at least the people that tell me these things never seem to
be able to demonstrate it.

> > My concern has generally been that every SMP machine I've looked at
> > (admittedly not that many) seems to be a generation behind in
> > chipsets and memory technology which goes against the goal. If I
> > agree to pay more money for a second processor I'd at least like the
> > rest of the machine to be equivalent technology.
> I guess thats a question of money. What are you missing on
> dual-boards?

Nothing is 'missing', but, as I said earlier, the SMP machines, for a
sililar price, tend to be a generation behind. For instance, PC2700
memory was emerging at the time I bought this specific Linux box. I
could get a single CPU Athlon XP machine using PC2100 memory, or I could
get an SMP machine with slower PC2100 (I think that's what it was at the
time) memory and two processors. As I remember my shopping experience (I
built the machine) I could have gotten two Athlon XP 1600+ processors,
512MB of PC2100 memory and a more expensive SMP motherboard, or a single
PC XP 2600+ with 512MB PC2700 and a newer motherboard which is what I
did.

I made my choice based on what I knew at the time, which is cool because
it's all basically a crap shoot anyway, but I'd certainly be interested
in more and better information for some future purchase. I'm sure this
is not the last computer I will build.

- Mark